So, Ed Failor is the man behind the move to exclude Ron Paul from the Iowan Presidential Forum, sponsored by Iowans for Tax Relief and the Iowa Christian Alliance. I listened to him talk with Kent Snyder and Jan Michelson on radio. Ed Failor clearly came across as a man who is under attack and desperate to reach a reasonable solution without appearing to cave into pressure.
That solution won't happen. If things continue the way they are there will be two possible results:
1. Ed is overwhelmed and caves in, losing the battle, but making Ron Paul supporters looks like a group of annoying kooks.
2. Ed puts up with a couple weeks of no phone or Internet use but keeps Ron Paul out,
That's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved. Let me tell you what Failor ought to do:
1. Invite Ron Paul as well as Gravel and Cox and a couple more that were excluded, that way you're not caving in specifically to Ron Paul.
2. Cut the crap. No one believes that your schedule is carved in diamond, stop using this excuse. If you can't fit in a couple more candidates, then your organization has bigger problems than Ron Paul. By the way, what would they have done, hypothetically, if all their invited candidates had come? By my count they sent out about 16 invitations and received about 7 confirmations.
3. Tell the Ron Paul supporters that they're hurting themselves. When they give these annoying calls to a person's home, it drives people away. Hell, it's probably true that the thing that's making Failor most reluctant is he doesn't want to look weak under pressure. Tell them that Ed. Tell them that they're making you reluctant to change.